Sunday, January 4, 2009

The guard's College First program

Hettinger girl will follow dad's orders and family tradition

 
Jan 04, 2009 - 04:05:24 CST
Compiled byLAURENDONOVAN
BismarckTribune
 
 
 
Jessica Raasch of Hettinger will be the fifth generation in military service, a tradition that extends back to her great-great-grandfather's service in the Civil War.

The 17-year-old high school senior recently signed on for the National Guard, partly because she can earn $60,000 in six years, working two days a month and two weeks every summer, participating in the guard's College First program. She's allowed two years of college before there's any chance of deployment under the program rules.

"There's my college money," she said.

What makes her situation most interesting, though, is that her dad, Sgt. Randy Raasch, will be her supervisor. He works with recruits, preparing them for basic training.

"She'll be treated just like everyone else, no better, no worse," he said.

Jessica Raasch said she's a little worried about that.

"He likes to show off sometimes. I don't think my dad will be harder on me, but I think there will be a lot more attention on me," she said.

Randy Raasch said he thinks his daughter, who plans to specialize in public relations for the Guard, will be safer wrapped in a military team than she would be driving up and down gravel roads with a carload of friends.

"I think the statistics are that you're seven times more likely to die in a car accident than you are to die overseas," he said.

Randy Raasch said each of his children will make his or her own decision about whether the join the Guard. He only asks that they attend one drill and meet once with a recruiter.

"I don't love them any more for joining and I don't love them any less if they choose not to. I am proud of all of them," he said.

-http://bismarcktribune.com/articles/2009/01/04/news/local/173303.txt

No comments: