Saturday, January 3, 2009

Col. John Scorsone, Grand Forks Air Force Base, letter: Farewell, Grand Cities -- and thanks

Col. John Scorsone, Grand Forks Air Force Base, letter: Farewell, Grand Cities -- and thanks

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=99333&section=opinion

Grand Forks Herald
Published Friday, January 02, 2009

By John Scorsone
 


GRAND FORKS AIR FORCE BASE — This is just a short note of thanks to the people of Grand Forks Air Force Base, the Grand Cities and the state of North Dakota whom I have grown to love so dearly.
 
To the airmen and civilians who serve at Grand Forks Air Force Base: Thank you for your passionate commitment to our mutual safety and national security.
 
You have dedicated your life's work to serving others. You give from deep inside your soul to protect our freedoms from those who strive to end our way of life. No one will argue that you are worth far, far more than what we pay you. And the endless sacrifices that the families make as they deal with the airman's long hours on the job, frequent moves, lengthy deployments and too many missed celebrations to count … where do we get such unbelievably selfless spouses, kids and warriors such as you?
 
I count myself extremely fortunate to have been at your side over the past 18 months.
 
To the Grand Cities: Thank you for showing me and my family what America ought to be.
 
We found people here are overflowing with kindness and warmth that seems to spring from a bottomless well of faith. And repeatedly, you've gone the extra mile to care for the nonstop stream of "visiting" military families.
 
I salute you for every noble act of kindness that you did for all of us.
 
We have enjoyed your outstanding restaurants on both sides of the river and all around town. The Grand Cities have abundant shopping, strip malls and really fun stores such as Home of Economy and my wife's favorite, Quilter's Eden. These establishments have certainly made us smile.
 
Thank you also for the eye-watering, heart-pounding performances from Summer Performing Arts and Grand Cities Children's Choir. Children here are blessed with outstanding primary and secondary schools because of teachers and administrators who love their students. After all, the kids are "their kids, too."
How fortunate residents are to have outstanding local colleges. UND is world renowned, and President Robert Kelley's leadership epitomizes teamwork and collaboration. I am certain he is setting a course that will take UND to higher levels than ever seen before.
 
Spirit such as this is exactly why I am now a lifelong UND sports fan with a closet full of black, white and green colors.
 
And speaking of great leaders, who can resist the charm and smile of Grand Forks Mayor Mike Brown? If you've seen him in action at City Hall or at the hospital, he is the same warm caregiver who enjoys adding life to others around him.
 
This city, the region and certainly the base is overflowing with selfless leaders who are examples to us all.
 
To North Dakota: I like to think that only the hearty come north. Living here builds a certain toughness that keeps the riff-raff out.
 
From someone who has lived in 11 different states with 17 different addresses over the past 24 years, I can honestly say that I enjoyed my three addresses in North Dakota most of all. Yes, the winter weather is challenging, but the people's "warmth index" more than covers anything Mother Nature can dish out.
 
North Dakotans have created the perfect balance of sturdy self-reliance with a healthy dose of good-natured Nordic culture. I admire the way North Dakotans maintain their pioneer spirit but never lose their keen focus on the future as they see technological changes on the near horizon.
 
To my many friends and family: As I leave Grand Forks Air Force Base for Scott Air Force Base in Illinois, I proudly and publicly declare that this is not goodbye. Instead, it is see you later.
 
Shakespeare said it best: "Parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say good night till it be morrow."
 
Air Force Col. Scorsone is vice-commander of the 319th Air Refueling Wing. His new assignment in Illinois will be as the Air Mobility Command's director of tests and evaluations.


No comments: